North Pole Postmark & Other Postmarks

You can add an extra holiday touch to your Christmas letters and Santa letters by getting a special holiday postmark/cancellation on your envelopes. One of the most popular holiday cancellations is the North Pole postmark from North Pole, Alaska, but there are nearly 100 towns and cities in the United States with names related to the holidays, and a number of these offer special holiday postmarks.

To get a North Pole postmark on your envelope(s), simply address and stamp your envelope(s) as you normally would. Then put them all in a bigger envelope and send them to:

north pole postmark
North Pole Christmas Cancellation
Postmaster
4141 Postmark Drive
Anchorage, AK 99530-99998

To ensure delivery by Christmas, envelopes should be received at the North Pole post office no later than December 15.

You can also take advantage of this free service offered by other holiday-themed post offices by sending your sealed, stamped and addressed envelopes in a larger envelope to the attention of Christmas Re-Mailing at the appropriate post office noted below.

The United States Post Office published this list in 2008 of post offices with Christmas names. Some of these post offices offer a regular cancellation with the city name, while others have special graphic for the holidays. Cities in red with an asterisk are those that have offered special images in previous years. Images change from year to year, so be sure to check with the appropriate post office before mailing.

• Advent WV 25231

• Chestnut IL 62518
  • Christmas FL 32709
  • Christmas MI 49862
  • Evergreen AL 36401
  • Evergreen CO 80439
  • Evergreen LA 71333
  • Evergreen MT 59901 (branch of Kalilspell Post Office)
  • Evergreen NC 28438

• Saint Joseph MI 49085
  • Saint Joseph MN 56374
  • Saint Joseph MO 64501
  • Saint Joseph TN 38481
  • Saint Mary KY 40063
  • Saint Mary MO 63673
  • Saint Mary MT 59417 (community Post Office of Browning)
  • Saint Marys AK 99658
  • Saint Marys GA 31558
  • Saint Marys IN 46556 (branch of Notre Dame Post Office)
  • Saint Marys IA 50241
  • *Star MS 39167
  • *Star NC 27356
  • Star TX 76880
  • *Starlight PA 18461
  • Surprise NY 12176
  • Wiseman AR 72587

You can find lists of all upcoming pictorial postmarks and instructions for obtaining them in the “Philately” section of the Postal Bulletin.

Be Sociable, Share!

26 comments for “North Pole Postmark & Other Postmarks

1. July 12, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Regarding Noel, Missouri, and just to clarify, what you will receive if you send items through the mail, is a “cachet”, and probably NOT a postmark. This is a decorative rubber stamp. It is not a postmark. When I went down there last year, there were volunteers who were applying the cachet with a die-type rubber stamp (the heavy duty metal variety), and as far as I know all of the items were sent to the Springfield sectional center for application of a Springfield overspray, and NOT a Noel postmark. I think what has happened is that due to volume of mail, the post office has decided that people would prefer a “cachet” and that the postmark is of lesser importance. When you send items for a postmark, what you are getting is a “cachet”, which is totally different. For us postmark collectors, of course, we want the actual postmark. I requested a handstamped postmark and handed it to the clerk. What I got back through the mail was a very very faint machine cancel and the Noel wording was barely readable, and then it was completely covered up by the Springfield overspray. Probably the only way we will see readable postmarks from there in the future is if someone obtains a Mailer’s Postmark Permit and begins doing that as a service to other collectors. For more information on Mailer’s Postmark Permits see http://www.mppcclub.org

2. Jodi
    July 23, 2009 at 7:14 am

Last year I sent my Christmas cards to North Pole Alaska and was very disappointed to find that the cancellation was nothing other than the regular machine cancellation.

3. July 23, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Hi Jodi – Did you make sure to send your envelopes to “North Pole Christmas cancellation” and get them there be December 15? The image at the top of this page shows what the North Pole cancellation looks like.

4. Jamie DeMumbrum
    September 4, 2009 at 11:28 am

Is there a limit to the number of letters these folks will/can handle? Do prior arrangements (written requests) need to be made?

5. September 6, 2009 at 10:02 pm

There’s no limit I’m aware of at this time. The USPS usually puts out a press release each holiday season about this service, and I’ve never seen any mention of limits on how many letters you can send. These are regular U.S. post offices, so they operate just like any other post office and can handle large volumes. However, I suppose this could change, especially given the difficulties the USPS is facing.

6. September 28, 2009 at 8:55 pm

@Jamie – update to your question. I found a press release from last year that indicated there IS a limit to the hand-stamped “picture postmarks” offered in Santa Claus, Indiana. According to the press release, “There is no charge for postmarking—however there is a limit of 50 picture postmarks (hand cancellations) per person per day.”

The press release for the North Pole postmark didn’t mention any limit. From what I’ve seen, it appears to be a machine cancellation (as shown in image above) and not a hand stamp, so they presumably can handle larger quantities.

7. donna
    November 15, 2009 at 3:18 am

when my kids were little i sent there letters to the north pole, then i made sure there santa letters were sent back with the north pole stamp. they showed all there friends that they really got a letter from santa at the real north pole i am hoping they do this there own kids. im telling all my friends to do this for kids or grandkids.

8. Debbie
    December 5, 2009 at 5:59 am

I have used many holiday postmarks over the years. The following all have very nice, special postmarks.
    Rudolph, Ohio
    Noel, Missouri
    Christmas, Florida
    Rudolph, Wisconsin
    Christmas VAlley, Oregon
    Santa Claus, Indiana
    Santa, Idaho
    This year I am trying North Poel, New York 12997 after viewing their stamp online at:
    It’s great fun and most important of all – DON’T FORGET TO SEND A CARD TO YOURSELF SO YOU’LL HAVE ONE TO KEEP!!

9. A.Lynch
    December 5, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Do I have to send you a stamp for you to mail back the letter to my house?

10. December 5, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Hi A. Lynch,
    If you want to get any of the postmarks mentioned above, you will need to put a stamp on the envelope you want sent back to you or to someone else AND the envelope you send to the North Pole (or any of the other cities mentioned) for cancellation. Just as with any mail, the US Postal Service will not deliver it without postage.

11. December 5, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Hi Debbie – Thanks for the feedback on which postmarks you’ve enjoyed and especially for the link to the North Pole, NY info. It’s always nice to be able to see an example of the postmark you’ll be getting. Happy holidays!

12. Barb Southwick
    December 7, 2009 at 6:40 pm

I sent my letters via Priority Mail to Christmas Florida post office last week to:

Christmas Re-Mailing
    Post Master
    23580 E Colonial Dr
    Christmas, FL 32709

I just found out they were post marked Orlando? Does anyone know why this would happen? Was it because I sent it Priority?

13. Bruce
    December 8, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Can I send a package (box) to the north pole address and get it stamped as well ?

14. Lisa
    December 9, 2009 at 11:17 pm

I send cards every year to get the Christmas North Pole greeting on it. I send about 100.

In addition, I send two or three boxes of Trader Joe’s Peppermint Joe Joe’s to all the postal workers with my cards. That way they get a little bright spot to their day during a very hard season. I *ALWAYS* receive a thank you card from them. It is lovely.

15. Cindy J
    December 28, 2009 at 10:19 am

I sent my 4-year old boy’s card to North Pole, NY for Christmas cancellation. We mailed it December 14th, 2009 and it arrived after Christmas with a postmarked stamp that didn’t imprint well enough to even make out the teddy bear picture or the city name “North Pole”. Big Bummer!

16. March 30, 2010 at 9:03 pm

To Barb Southwick:

No, the manner in which you sent the letters to them wouldn’t matter.

You received poor customer service, which is not surprising. You should have complained, IMHO. For the cards to get an Orlando postmark instead of the one you asked for, would be Standard Operating Procedure, especially if your package was opened by the typical USPS worker– who doesn’t give a rip. This seems to be the usual treatment, unfortunately. Some offices have even received orders from their districts not to postmark mail, and some of them are under the mistaken impression that they are not allowed to postmark mail at their own office, which is pure bunk. You often have to quote their own rules and regulations to them! Many post offices no longer postmark any mail at their post office. To justify the multi-million dollar regional mail processing centers, they send all of their mail to the sectional mail center, where it gets a “jetspray” that isn’t even a postmark, in my book. My guess is that Orlando is the sectional center for Christmas, FL. They don’t want to take the time to fulfill a legitimate request from a taxpayer, so they need to be called on it. If the office was offering a pictorial postmark, you need to be sure and specifically request that, otherwise they may not have understood yours was a special request. For the towns that offer a special pictorial postmark (not their usual, everyday postmark device) it may help for you to put “philatelic request” on the outside of your requesting envelope. Sometimes (and I must stress sometimes) that will help you get better service! Hope you have better luck next year, don’t give up. A good forum to join to discuss postal matters is the one at the Virtual Stamp Club or Bidstart.com Both are aimed toward stamp collectors and postmark collectors, but you might find it helpful.

P.S I have been doing this for some 40 years now…. been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

17. November 8, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I was dismayed to discover that Ding Dong, TX, a few miles from my house, doesn’t have its own post office. 🙂

18. December 2, 2010 at 9:10 am

There’s a slight change in the address this year. I’m not sure if it matters or not.

North Pole Postmark
    Postmaster
    4141 Postmark Drive
    Anchorage, AK 99530-99998

Also, all letters should be sent by Dec 10 if mailing first class. After that they should be next day or two day mail.

19. Just Checking
    October 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Hi, I am curious about the postmarks. I would like to do one for my daughter this year. I live in the UK. How do I get a North Pole or Anchorage postmark? Do I make a card and affix a 1st class stamp, then put it in another envelope addressed to the North Pole Postmark, Postmaster, 4141 Postmark Drive, Anchorage, AK 99530-99998? I would obviously need to take this to the post office and get them to weigh and get the correct stamp on it etc. Can anyone advise? Thanks! 😉

20. November 2, 2011 at 9:11 am

Hi Just Checking – The process for getting a postmark is almost the same from any country, but you’ll need to leave extra time for the delivery to the UK and you’ll need to have US postage on the inside envelope so the US Postal Service will send it back to you in the UK. I’d check with your local post office to see if they can help you with that, or ask a friend in the US to send you some stamps. You could also buy US Santa postage stamps online from Zazzle, but you have to buy a whole sheet, so it wouldn’t really make sense for someone in the UK.

21. Rebecca Sovine
    December 5, 2011 at 10:43 am

Anyone know of a place I can get a template to type my Christmas letter and have the words come out in the shape of a Christmas tree?

Thx.